Looking for an Attorney?

STCBA is not a lawyer referral service and we cannot give any legal advice or direct you to a specific attorney or a list of attorneys in a certain practice area. To operate in California, all lawyer referral services must be certified by the State Bar of California. The STCBA has not applied for, nor have they received, this certification from the State Bar. Furthermore, at this time, a list of our members is not available to the public.

For a complete list of California State Bar-certified lawyer referral services, click here. For phone numbers of certified lawyer referral services near you, call 866-44-CA-LAW (866-442-2529). If you are out of state, you can call 415-538-2250. Be sure to look for the lawyer referral service’s State Bar certification number, which must appear in all advertising.

The State Bar also maintains a pro-bono directory for organizations that provide free legal counsel to those in need. The list is separated by geographic region (of which we fall into the “Sacramento and Northern California Pro Bono Directory”). You can access that list here.

Alternatively, if you are looking for free or low-cost help in California and/or reliable information about common legal issues, please go to LawHelpCA.org.

The California State Bar can point you in the right direction, whether you are looking for a lawyer who can represent you for free, or just looking for a lawyer practicing in a particular field. For more information on the services provided by the State Bar, click here.

The State Bar also publishes some free legal information for the public here.

Some examples of additional resources you could consider when looking for the right attorney are: Internet searches (e.g., Google), the phone book, recommendations from friends or family, State Bar of California Lawyer Referral Service, California Courts Self-Help Centers, LawHelpCA.org, and Legal Services of Northern California.

The above-referenced information is not legal advice. This web page is intended to assist the general public with some examples of available services, but this list of resources is not exhaustive.  This information has not been tailored for your unique situation.

If you need legal representation, seek the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in California and in good standing. You can look up the license and status of any attorney in California, or search for an attorney by geographic area or certified specialty, by clicking here.